‼️ ALWAYS USE A HARNESS ‼️
with a leash …. collars are for ID tags and accessorizing
I tell every single client to 🛑 STOP attaching the leash to the collar and instead use a harness for walks and for training.
– Harnesses offer better control, which is especially important in crowded areas or when you are training
– They are good for training to walk on a lead, especially with puppies, as they help keep the lead tangle free
– Small dogs can be easily injured by a collar. The neck has many sensitive areas, such as the trachea and vocal cords which can all become damaged from pulling on a collar
– For large dogs, the harness gives better control as well as helps ease the strain on your arms and hands.
– Harnesses also discourage pulling because when they pull against a harness they are redirected, not moving forward as they wanted to, thus discouraging the behavior.
– A harness is also great for our little Houdini’s who can somehow always escape a collar. Here one minute and gone the next, NO more!
There are lots of different harnesses to choose from, and although I tend to prefer a mesh harness for my smaller dog, you may need something a bit different for your dog.
Want some input on what’s the best harness for you and your dog? Ask away!